35029 & 34079, Basingstoke, 22nd May 1965
Bulleid ‘Pacifics’ pass at Basingstoke station on the afternoon of Saturday 22nd May 1965. On the left is unrebuilt ‘Battle of Britain’ Class No. 34079 "141 Squadron" with an up express to Waterloo, while on the right is rebuilt ‘Merchant Navy’ Class No. 35029 "Ellerman Lines" with the down working of the ‘Pines Express’ from Manchester to Bournemouth which it would have taken over at Oxford. No. 34079 was built at Brighton Works in July 1948 and spent the first ten years or so of its life at Ramsgate shed, moving to Exmouth Junction in February 1958. September 1964 saw it transferred to Eastleigh depot where it saw out its days until February 1966 when it was withdrawn. Stored at Eastleigh until July it was moved to Newport Dock Street Goods Yard and then Cashmore’s, Newport, for scrap during September 1966. Slide No. 1335.