4171, Swindon Works, 23rd September 1962
GWR 5101 class 2-6-2T No. 4171 has just gone through the works at Swindon for overhaul and emerged in plain black livery, though with copper-capped chimney. It is carrying an 84D shedcode plate, Leamington Spa MPD, so presumably it was to return there. On the right of the picture is "Modified Hall" No. 7916 "Mobberley Hall", about to enter the works for overhaul. Sunday 23rd September 1962. 4171 was built at Swindon Works in October 1949 and spent all its life at Leamington Spa save for a short period at Tyesley in 1954. Withdrawn in October 1964 it was scrapped by Cashmore's at Great Bridge in January 1965. 7916 was also built by BR at Swindon in April 1950, initially also allocated to the shed there, its final allocation was to Cardiff East Dock from late 1964. It was withdrawn in December 1964, returning to its Swindon birthplace and scrapped in February 1965. B&W Neg No. 201.