PoV 1Z28, "YTGC", Pont Britannia, 22nd April 2017
View from the train as the BLS "Y Triongl Gogledd Cymru" is about to cross the Pont Britannia over the Menai Srait as the tour returns from Holyhead running as 1Z28, 14:50 from Holyhead to Carnforth. The original bridge, designed by Robert Stephenson, was opened in 1850 with wrought-iron rectangular tubular spans with a track inside each tube. The bridge tubes were burnt beyond re-use due to tar-soaked wooden linings catching fire after boys playing inside the bridge dropped a flaming torch in May 1970, closing the line. A new arched span was built and the line re-opened at the end of January 1972, though only as single-track. The road bridge above was added in July 1980. The original bridge was guarded by two lions on either side of the tracks on both the mainland side and the Anglesey side, these were designed by John Thomas and remain to this day, though now difficult to see. 15:14¼, Saturday 22nd April 2017. Digital Image No. IGMP26115.